Natural lipsticks are having a bit of a moment. Industry experts all over the world are hailing this new beauty phenomenon. Millions of women apply lipstick every day but many aren’t aware that the majority of lipsticks contain harmful ingredients such as lead. Lead is a neurotoxin and can be dangerous even in small doses. According to Health Line, lead can cause mental and physical impairment.
However, lead is actually not listed as an ingredient on lipsticks so it may be hard to identify which lipsticks have it and which ones don’t. If you do decide to adopt a conscious approach when choosing a new lipstick, here are a few reasons why you are doing the right thing:
1) Safe to use – natural lipsticks use herbal products which make them completely safe for use on the lips
2) Paraben free – it has been reported that parabens can cause hormonal imbalance in women
3) Lead free – as mentioned earlier, lead has been linked to mental and physical impairment so you won’t need to worry about any exposure to the metal when you are eating or drinking
4) Healthier lips – because of the natural ingredients, your lips will look and feel healthier and they will be deeply hydrated too – that’s an added bonus!
5) Not tested on animals – the components of natural lipsticks are actually not tested on animals. Commercial lipsticks are tested on animals unfortunately.
These are some pretty amazing benefits right? So, that’s why I was really excited to try the new 100% natural lipsticks from Burt’s Bees! In addition to the 18 stunning shades, each lipstick is made from natural ingredients including moringa oil, beeswax (community sourced), mimosa flower wax and raspberry seed oil.
I was sent three shades: Doused Rose, Russet River and Orchid Ocean.
(L-R: (513) Doused Rose, (533) Orchid Ocean and (532) Russet River)
If you are after a long lasting natural lipstick, then this is the one for you. It’s easy to apply and I can honestly say that my lips felt soft and hydrated throughout the day. As you know, I tend to prefer matte lipsticks but I’d happily consider using natural lipsticks instead. My only con is that I wish the shades were more pigmented but other than that, I would definitely wear Orchid Ocean and Russet River during the week. Doused Rose is a bit too light for my complexion.
The Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lipstick is available to purchase from John Lewis, Boots, Feel Unique, Burtsbees.co.uk and Look Fantastic and is priced at £9.99.